Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

First Onsite Experience

Thot of blogging abt it when I came across Adity's Blog. Well, the topic is sure interesting but wait till u read my story and you will find it funny.

Our project was in last phases of completion and one of my colleague was to travel to Rome to implement it. (Un)fortunately for some reason he did not get his visa. So the company decided to try for my visa. I had to travel to Delhi consulate for my visa. I was very nervous thinking abt the kind of Q's they will ask. It brought my college memories back, it was like the day before viva. But lady luck smiled and I never imagined I would get the visa so easily.

I was to fly directly from Delhi to London and then to Rome. Since it was all of a sudden and I absoltuley had no time, I had to hurry up shopping .. phew ! Large suitcases, winter clothing, shoes etc. I still remember shopping for thermals at Eastern store on comm. st. I did a bit of shopping at Delhi too.

Anyway, the flight to London was very long and boring. I slept most of the time. I reached Heathrow and was excited to see the bright and colourful airport. What thrilled me most was the Ferrari that stood there. There was some lucky draw and you cud win the Ferrari if you participate in the draw. I quietly moved away from that place after I heard the entry-price for the draw. It was 80 pounds! :o

The 2hr journey to Rome was short and sweet. I cud see the swiss mountains clad with snow. It was the most beautiful view I had ever seen. I have captured a few pics of them.

Rome is a beautiful old city. Old houses, old buildings, old roads ... though most of them were built long back (some of them were more than 100 yrs old) they had some charm in them. To add to the beauty of the city, every street was decorated with colourful lights as christmas was round the corner. I was staying in a hotel at a place called 'Cinicitta'. It was an area where most of films are shot. Every morning I cud see joggers with their pet dogs drop-in at the hotel for coffee. Sometimes after office I used just walk around before catching a metro back to hotel.

It goes without saying that work at client's place was hectic. Work-pressures, bad food, loneliness etc. started creeping in. I started missing home. I was not sure when the work wud get over and was waiting to go back. The uncertainity was killing me.

One evening when I was roaming arnd the city, we came across a "wishing fountain". Btw forgot to mention that there are many old fountains in Rome. I had only one coin.I dropped it in the fountain, closed my eyes and made a wish. I "wished to go back home ASAP".

The next day I came to know that the client offices wud be closed down for christams for nearly 10-15 days. So our company decided that I come back to blore and go again. Voila ! I had least expected my wish to come true so soon.

In a hurry I shopped for gifts and started back to India. I had plans of going back and visit the neighboring places after christmas. Lil did I know that there was a twist in the story. After I came back home I became so senti & emotional that I dint want to go back :( However beautiful the outside world is nothing like "Home Sweet Home".

I still regret my childish behaviour and also regret wasting one precious wish. But I guess there's always a next time :)

5 comments:

rash_mi said...

aaagggghhhh ! Adity its no longer a secret now :)

Neways, you are right !

Inder said...

yeah... rome looks quite ancient... i guess like our old delhi.

i was told that if i throw one coin over my shoulder into the fountain, i would come back to rome and if i throw three coins i would get an italian wife... i guess my friends fooled me :P

rash_mi said...

Inder : Thank you for dropping by.

Yes ancient is THE word for Rome!

Ah thts a interesting piece of info (atleast to fool ppl) he he he :)

Anonymous said...

hey rashmi, i felt almost the same way on my first overseas trip - thank god i could use my sister's marriage as an excuse to come back soon! :)

btw, i'm so pleased that i'm the first one to have tagged you! welcome to the big bad blog world! :D

ano

Anonymous said...

Rashmi, i am now roaming around Sweden in search of a fountain with pocket full of coins!!!